• Skip to main content
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
The Coonamble Times

The Coonamble Times

Your Local Newspaper Serving Coonamble & district since 1885

News

  • Digital Editions
  • Local News | Paid
  • News Showcase | Free
  • Local News | Featured
  • Western Plains App
Subscribe

Services & Information

  • About
  • Advertise with us
  • Services
  • Events
  • Photo Galleries
  • Contact Us

Subscribers

  • Account Login
  • Your Membership
  • Purchase History
  • Edit Your Profile
  • Update Billing Card
  • Digital Editions
  • News Updates
    • Local News | Featured
    • Local News | Paid
  • Events
  • Photo Galleries
  • Advertising
    • Advertise with us
    • Rate Card
    • Media Kit
  • Login / Account
    • Your Account
    • Single Issue Downloads & Purchase History
    • Edit Your Profile
    • Online Edition Archives
      • Online Edition 2023 Archive
      • Online Edition 2022 Archive
      • Online Edition 2021 Archive
      • Online Edition 2017 Archive
      • Online Edition 2018 Archive
      • Online Edition 2019 Archive
    • Log out
Local News | Featured

Reduced speed zone proposed for sections of highway

30/09/2020 by The Coonamble Times

THE LONG-STANDING issue of how to improve traffic flow at the intersection of the Castlereagh Highway and Coonamble’s main street was back on the table at Council’s meeting on September 9.


After deferring the idea of a roundabout suggested by consultants Sala4D as part of the Shire Masterplan earlier this year, Councillors agreed to pursue the implementation of a 40km/hour speed zone in the Coonamble central business district.


“It is an awkward intersection,” said Coonamble Shire Council’s General Manager Hein Basson.


“The Masterplan investigated the possible options to slow traffic so it would be easier for drivers to turn into the main street. When we discussed the roundabout it came up as a potential interim measure.”


“Both the Department of Transport and Council are also concerned about the congestion around the pool, Macdonald Park and the two supermarkets there on the highway with pedestrians, cars parking and trucks going by,” he said.
“That whole area is a safety concern.”


Council staff reported that the proposal for a 40km/hour speed zone was well-received by Transport NSW, who have responsibility for the highway.
Council’s Traffic Committee, including Mr David Vant from Roads & Maritime Services, Mrs Atkins and Ms Siew Neale, Council’s Roads and Bridges Manager, undertook a site visit to consider the most appropriate location for the zone.


Initially it was expected that the zone would begin around the intersection with Pages Terrace (the street beside the Bowling Club), however after inspecting the area, the Traffic Committee agreed that it should begin just west of the Mobil Service Station so that there was sufficient space to install signs.

The zone will then follow the Castlereagh Highway over the bridge and end approximately where Namoi Street meets the highway.


Council also agreed to include the main street between the National Australia Bank and the northern roundabout in the reduced speed zone and as well as a section of Aberford Street running east from the Post Office to the Namoi Street intersection.


“This proposed zone is not intended to be a total solution to traffic issues for vehicle movements and congestion problems, but will help in making our town safer for residents,” Mrs Atkins said in her report to Council.

“It is also hoped that it will aid in making the main street more accessible to visiting travellers.”


Implementing the proposed zone, should also ensure that traffic is slowed as they approach four of the town’s main pedestrian crossings – in front of Council’s offices, beside the Post Office, across the entry to the main street and outside the swimming pool.


With the $300,000 that had been earmarked for the investigations into the roundabout design already re-directed to the construction of the Visitor Information Centre, councillors queried the cost of the new speed zone.


Councillors were told that Transport NSW will provide the signage for the project, making it almost cost-free for Council to introduce.


Mr Basson says Council will continue to investigate other measures to manage traffic and encourage visitors into the main street.


“When we get the funding we will try to look at the main street and visually open that up a bit to appeal more to travellers,” Mr Basson said.


The proposed 40 kilometre speed zone has been placed on public display for the required 28 day period with residents able to provide comment up until 21 October.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X

Sidebar

Latest News

Zone Pennant finals

Winter bowls begin

From the Mayor’s desk

Home sweet home: Zali joins Coonamble Police

Baradine News: 20 May 2026

Lyndy wins club medal

Latest Digital Edition

20 May 2026

Checkout Added to cart

Your Local Newspaper

We’ve been part of the conversation since 1885.

A proudly independent, locally owned business supporting our community and local businesses.

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn
Subscribe
Donate

Information & Services

  • About
  • Our Services
  • Advertise
  • Enquiries
  • Editorial Guidelines
  • Complaints

The Coonamble Times
51 Castlereagh St,
Coonamble NSW

02 6822 1911

Contact Us

Copyright © 2026 · The Coonamble Times · All Rights Reserved