• Skip to main content
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
The Coonamble Times

The Coonamble Times

Your Local Newspaper Serving Coonamble & district since 1885

News

  • Digital Editions
  • Local News | Paid
  • News Showcase | Free
  • Local News | Featured
  • Western Plains App
Subscribe

Services & Information

  • About
  • Advertise with us
  • Services
  • Events
  • Photo Galleries
  • Contact Us

Subscribers

  • Account Login
  • Your Membership
  • Purchase History
  • Edit Your Profile
  • Update Billing Card
  • Digital Editions
  • News Updates
    • Local News | Featured
    • Local News | Paid
  • Events
  • Photo Galleries
  • Advertising
    • Advertise with us
    • Rate Card
    • Media Kit
  • Login / Account
    • Your Account
    • Single Issue Downloads & Purchase History
    • Edit Your Profile
    • Online Edition Archives
      • Online Edition 2023 Archive
      • Online Edition 2022 Archive
      • Online Edition 2021 Archive
      • Online Edition 2017 Archive
      • Online Edition 2018 Archive
      • Online Edition 2019 Archive
    • Log out
• Local news hiatus: Lee and Angie O’Connor hope that a way forward can be found for the district’s trusted local news source.
Local News | Featured News Showcase | Free

Time-out for Coonamble Times

19/08/2026 by The Coonamble Times

This is the last edition of the Coonamble Times for the foreseeable future, after circumstances beyond the publisher’s control conspired to make continuing untenable.

“I’m hoping this is not the end of the road for the Coonamble Times,” says owner and editor Lee O’Connor.

“However we are having to cease publishing from this week because the anticipated sale of the business has fallen over at the last minute and we have run out of editorial staff to keep the news coming.

“Due to this lack of people power, we will have to put both our publications on ice.”

The Coonamble Times and Western Plains App went on the market in December 2025 and a potential buyer soon appeared.

But after accepting an offer at Easter and agreeing to a 1 July handover, which was then delayed to Friday 14 August, Mrs O’Connor says she was “blindsided” by the purchasers’ sudden withdrawal on Friday 7 August.

“The weekend prior they assured me everything was on track,” she said. “On the Monday one of the buyers assisted with interviewing a new journalist and on Tuesday co-signed a letter of offer.”

The journalist eventually declined but the buyers pulled out just hours before.

“I’m having difficulty understanding why they didn’t flag any issues ahead of time,” she said.

Doomed sale aside, recruiting and keeping trained editorial staff has proven to be difficult in 2026.

Advertising for a new journalist/editor began in January and, after two rounds without a suitable candidate, Gerald Rillstone was appointed and took over the role at the end of April.

“He was very capable and a nice person to boot, everyone seemed to get on with him,” Mrs O’Connor said.

However Mr Rillstone decided to return to his home in New Zealand just two months later.

“We had already lost our journalist River McCrossen, who had long planned his overseas trip to start on his two year anniversary,” Mrs O’Connor said.

“Our cadet journalist Kelsi Davis then had to return to Queensland for family reasons.”

Fortunately, local university student Sally Altus was able to step in for three weeks during holidays.

“We kept trying to recruit and, while we’ve had a couple of good candidates, we haven’t had any luck in getting them here quickly,” Mrs O’Connor said.

“I’ve looked under every rock I can think of, including using news industry networks and universities around eastern Australia.

“It needs someone with a bit of experience, without them it is no longer possible to keep publishing.”

Mrs O’Connors says she plans to put both publications “on ice” for a couple of months to give any interested parties a chance to come forward.

“There are definitely different options and models that could work.

“We’ll consider and support anything that will keep the Coonamble Times and the Western Plains App going.

“I believe local news is critically important for our communities and that it is done best by people living and working in the area they serve.

“It still needs to be done professionally and carefully, otherwise it risks turning into the tripe so common on social media, which is often opinion, propaganda or marketing masquerading as news.

“We are still hopeful there’ll be a new custodian for these publications waiting in the wings.

“After 141 years it would be a shame to see the Coonamble Times shut when it still has strong support from readers and advertisers.”

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X

• Local news hiatus: Lee and Angie O’Connor hope that a way forward can be found for the district’s trusted local news source.

Sidebar

Latest News

Koonambil needs to grow – or no home

Sooty celebrates Top End arts award

Coonamble Physie success at Cudgegong Valley Interclub

CPS students enjoy memorable Sydney excursion

Coonamble Preschool celebrate Book Week

Free soup for Homelessness Week

Latest Digital Edition

19 August 2026

Checkout Added to cart

Your Local Newspaper

We’ve been part of the conversation since 1885.

A proudly independent, locally owned business supporting our community and local businesses.

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn
Subscribe
Donate

Information & Services

  • About
  • Our Services
  • Advertise
  • Enquiries
  • Editorial Guidelines
  • Complaints

The Coonamble Times
51 Castlereagh St,
Coonamble NSW

02 6822 1911

Contact Us

Copyright © 2026 · The Coonamble Times · All Rights Reserved